I attended a workshop about the usage of think-aloud protocols on the second of May. Dr. Lorena Llosa was the presenter and who was also the one made me think the way how I process my writing. I was surprise to learner that think-aloud protocols can be both apply to teachers and students. I had a difficult time gather information while talk out loud to three other people during one of the activities she used for her participates. I soon noticed that I have no trouble to write a paper alone but once I need to read out loud the way how I write. It become difficult since I had so many ideas come to me and struggled to decide which direction should I take.
Her research showed that English as a second language speaker (L2) are better answer essay question which designed by her. Meanwhile, the native English speaker (L1) had two drafts before she answered the questions correctly. while I was listening to those two people’ think process, I quickly noticed they had difficult writing techniques. The L1 speaker used a simple language and the L2 prefer a more challenge language including difficult words to show her intelligence. It was interesting to learn L1 and L2 speakers strengths and weakness from taping their thoughts while asking them to speak their ideas out loud by using think-aloud protocols.
Her research showed that English as a second language speaker (L2) are better answer essay question which designed by her. Meanwhile, the native English speaker (L1) had two drafts before she answered the questions correctly. while I was listening to those two people’ think process, I quickly noticed they had difficult writing techniques. The L1 speaker used a simple language and the L2 prefer a more challenge language including difficult words to show her intelligence. It was interesting to learn L1 and L2 speakers strengths and weakness from taping their thoughts while asking them to speak their ideas out loud by using think-aloud protocols.
Yes, think alouds are a very good tool for teachers and students. See my TQ article to see how I used it to collect data on students' reading processes.
ReplyDelete